Gem City Pickleball Classic
Coming soon in September
Four Pickleball courts in Berrian Park and Two Courts in Moorman Park
Equipment needed free of charge at concession building at the Batting Cage facility, Moorman Park.
What is Pickleball?
A paddle sport created for all ages and skill levels. The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.
1. A fun sport that combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong.
2. Played both indoors or outdoors on a badminton-sized court and a slightly modified tennis net.
3. Played with a paddle and a plastic ball.
A Game for Everyone
The USAPA currently estimates there are now over 100,000 players actively playing pickleball.
· Many kids and teenagers play it in physical education classes in middle and high schools.
· Seniors enjoy the social aspects and the ability to stay active in towns and retirement communities.
· Tennis, racquetball and ping pong players love the competitive nature of the sport and regularly participate in competitive tournaments.
Pickleball was invented in 1965 on Bainbridge Island, a short ferry ride from Seattle, WA. Three dads – Joel Pritchard, Bill Bell, and Barney McCallum -whose kids were bored with their usual summertime activities are credited for creating game. Pickleball has evolved from original hand made equipment and simple rules into a popular sport throughout the US and Canada. The game is growing internationally as well with many European and Asian countries adding courts. Complete History of the Game.
Pickleball Rules Summary — A general overview of the rules of the game.
Skill Development — Tutorials, playing tips, and instructional video clips.
Pickleball Mania — A humorous look at the addictive nature of pickleball.